• October 18Boys varsity soccer team defeats Chicago Kelley 3-1 to continue their playoff journey

• October 16Aidan Lafferty finishes 3rd in state at IHSA state golf meet

• October 9=Senior Aidan Lafferty finished first in IHSA Sectional and is moving on to the state competition this weekend

Ceasing the cellphone

Sidney Lee, Editor-in-chief

I stop dead in my tracks as the weight of my iPhone seems to disappear out of the pocket of my overalls. I have that moment of panic (you know that moment), where’s my phone?!, my hands searching, quickly patting all my pockets.

The crowd diverts around me as I turn to enlist my friends in helping me look for my phone. Despite my frantic searching of the floor, I eventually give up and come to the horrifying conclusion that my phone has been stolen.
My friends console me saying things like, “you are so strong for not crying right now” or “it’s okay, I know how scary this must be.” It was as if I lost a loved one.

I tried so hard not to feel those things because on the surface I knew that it was ridiculous to be so upset over a phone. Many adults in my life have commented on how “kids these days are addicted to their phones,” and I didn’t want to succumb to the stereotypes of my generation. I kept a calm composure even though I was devastated on the inside.
Admittedly and embarrassedly, I struggled to be without my phone. I felt lost and alone in the big world that I previously neglected to see because my phone was always in my face.

Without my iPhone, I felt like my anchor to my friends, my family, my schoolwork was gone. I had this crazy notion that I would miss out on everything or get stranded at dance team practice with no way to call for someone to pick me up.

It wasn’t until I was phoneless for a couple of days that I realized how addicting it could be. Losing my phone was eerily similar to quitting an addiction cold-turkey, and the withdrawal symptoms included extreme fear of missing out.

After two days without my phone, I finally “detoxed” enough to realize that life can go on without a smartphone. In fact, I seemed to live better and was more productive without it. I stopped caring what other people were doing because my phone stopped telling me. I stopped procrastinating because I had this newfound free time without my phone to distract me. I stopped seeing life through the impressingly high quality camera lense of my iPhone.

As much as I wish I could say those four days without a phone changed me, I’m not living a new unplugged, off-the-grid life. I still reach for my phone as much as the average teen does, but at least I know to beware of the addiction.

Sidney Lee, Editor-In-Chief

Sidney Lee is in her senior year at DGN and second year on The Omega staff. In addition to the newspaper, Sidney is on the Athena dance team and a member of the Acapella Choir. Outside of class, Sidney enjoys playing the piano, online shopping, and immersing herself in the lives  of Youtubers. You can contact Sidney at [email protected] or follow her on Twitter @sidneylee04 (not a contact, just for follows).