The student news site of Downers Grove North High School

Game over? Gambling regulation put to vote

SPEAKING+OUT%3A+Angi+Costello%2C+a+sales+manager+at+Gold+Rush+Gaming+with+over+20+years+of+experience+in+the+gaming+industry%2C++advocates+for+video+gaming+Oct.+24.+Costello+explains+how+gaming+supports+small+businesses+and+how+the+revenue+it+produces+will+help+the+community.+
Meaghan Wernett
SPEAKING OUT: Angi Costello, a sales manager at Gold Rush Gaming with over 20 years of experience in the gaming industry, advocates for video gaming Oct. 24. Costello explains how gaming supports small businesses and how the revenue it produces will help the community.

In a heated Downers Grove Village Council meeting Oct. 24, community members disputed over the introduction of video gaming to Downers Grove. Video gaming–the operation of electric gambling machines–has been legal in Illinois since 2009 when the state passed a Video Gaming Act. Although the practice has been restricted in Downers Grove, the village council proposed an ordinance that would allow some businesses with liquor licenses to run video gaming machines.

More than 40 meeting attendants commented on the ordinance, weighing in on the topic of video gaming. Among those who commented were the owner and two staff members of Downers Grove’s Q Pub and Grill. The bar has several locations, including one in Darien where video gaming is legal. Despite the two locations being practically identical, staff member Jake Taft notes the comparable differences between the two.

“We’re finding it much more difficult to keep the Downers Grove location profitable. Our location in Darien pays more, hires more, retains better employees, and is all in all run better because we have better revenue opportunities,” Taft said. “I know that you want to keep Downers Grove unique to these surrounding cities, but you have to understand how hard it is for us to stay competitive with other towns.”

As of September, Q Pub and Grill has been able to pay its Darien employees nearly $100,000 more in wages than its Downers Grove employees. The financial struggle that Q Pub and Grill has endured due to the restrictions on video gaming has been felt by many other Downers Grove businesses. Owner of Bryan’s American Grille Victoria Bentley also voiced her frustrations on the matter, calling the council to action.

“Don’t succumb to the loud voices of a vocal minority led by a few anti-gaming zealots,” Bentley said. “Do what you said you were going to do and pass a reasonable video gaming ordinance here tonight.”

Bentley’s insistence on reaching a resolution that night stems from the council’s prior postponement of settling the video gaming dispute two years earlier in 2021. During their Nov. 9 meeting that year, the council motioned to table the ordinance, citing they needed more time to come to a consensus as the issue was too complex and polarized. Although many speakers focused on the impact the ban would have on businesses, Sweet Tooth Kids Dentistry owner Dr. Jamie Moss raised concerns about the health of the community and the detrimental effects of addiction.

BACKING THE BAN: Owner of Sweet Tooth Kids Dentistry Dr. Jamie Moss describes the negative health impacts of video gaming and gambling addiction Oct. 24. (Meaghan Wernett)

“There are many of us who are blessed that we’re not going to succumb to being addicted to video gambling. But, there are some people that are spending their rent, their grocery money, and the money that they would’ve spent on their family and children because they’re addicted to gambling,” Dr. Moss said. “If businesses are concerned about money, then they should be providing a better product and better service instead of praying on weaker members of society.”

The ordinance would not universally permit video gaming, proposing instead to only issue video gaming licenses to a maximum of 10 establishments that already have on-premise liquor licenses. In addition, establishments could have no more than six gaming machines, and the practice would be prohibited for establishments in downtown Downers Grove.

As various meeting attendants continued to comment on the matter, one speaker’s unique perspective stood out to the audience and council. Tom Chlystek, an Alderman in Darien for eight years, was in a similar position to the council members only 10 years ago.

“I know what you’re feeling and I know what’s going through your minds. I sat right where you sat with the same vote in front of me, and I’m here to tell you that I regret making that vote,” Chlystek said.

The 2013 vote allowed two gaming establishments to enter Darien, an issue that Chlystek explains soon got out of hand as more and more businesses began requesting gaming licenses. As the business climate began to change, families became deterred from living in Darien. In fact, Chlystek himself left Darien and moved to Downers Grove.

SIGNS UP: Angelo’s deli promotes their slot machines in an unincorporated area of Downers Grove not subject to video gaming restrictions. (Meaghan Wernett)

“It’s not about the business owners, it’s not about the revenue, it’s about how you are going to change your town. Eventually, some of us were embarrassed being in Darien and that we allowed this to come in just for a couple bucks,” Chlystek said. “If you want to see what happens eight years after you allow gaming, just go down 75th Street and Cass Avenue.”

After more than two and a half hours of public comment, the council members were able to weigh in on the issue. Though some commissioners still opposed the ordinance, others explained its value and advocated for its passage.

“This ordinance is the epitome of listening to both sides of the community to try and strike a balance between what we are hearing from everyone,” commissioner Martin T. Tully said. “People have strong feelings about this issue. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I can’t legislate feelings.”

Although the council was still divided on the issue of video gaming, regardless of their stances, all the commissioners universally emphasized the need for compromise. Some council members advocated for a referendum–letting Downers Grove residents decide if the restrictions on video gaming should be lifted.

“Let’s let the people have their say. This is the opportunity for the community to truly weigh in on something that has obviously engendered such deep reactions in people on both sides,” commissioner Greg Hosé said.

After hearing the community’s input and thoroughly discussing the matter, the council unanimously passed the ordinance to put a referendum on the general election ballot Nov. 5 2024. Though the details of the referendum have yet to be finalized, the fate of video gaming is now in voters’ hands.