D99 Hoops teaches student coaches new life skills

December 11, 2019

D99 Hoops opened coaching positions for the 2019-2020 season to students in the video announcements, with a message from the players on the team. They choose to let students coach every year because of the benefits that they see. 

“For the players, they see positive behaviors demonstrated, have opportunities to work on their social skills, and learn from peers their age,” D99 Hoops coach Kimberly Hartsfeild said. 

The players gain good experiences from the opportunity, but so do the coaches. 

“They improve their skill set and learn new strategies for working with students with disabilities,” Hartsfeild said. “They also have opportunities to show empathy and see how other students their age live their lives with their strengths and struggles.”

The job of a students coach includes a lot of responsibility and Hartsfield holds high expectations for these students.

“Being a student coach must be their first priority in the winter.  If they have a job or another club sport, our teams and athletes must come first. They can’t miss more than 3 practices or games,” Hartsfeild said. 

Though the job may take some time, students don’t shy away from the challenge. Sophomore Madeline From expresses her excitement for the upcoming season as she holds one of the student coaching positions. 

“Spending time with those students always makes my day and they never fail to make me smile. I love cheering them on and seeing how happy they get when they make a basket or win a game,” From said.  It’s such a rewarding experience and I hope I can help make this basketball season very fun for the players too.

The requirements to join aren’t too extensive and a student doesn’t need any experience with basketball or with working with the players in the past. But, many of the students do hold that experience. 

“I am a leader for Adaptive PE, and I just love being around the kids. Being in their gym class just puts me in such a good mood. Any extra time I could get with them would make my day that much better,” senior Gina Tremonte said. 

As the games and practices begin, the student coaches are ready and excited to go. 

“Most jobs being a student coach include things like leading the stretch circle and warm ups before games, cheering all the players on. Even the other team! It is such an amazing opportunity to work with all the players,” Sophomore Emily Bormann said. 

The students coaches are each put onto a numbered team where they work with a few players instead of just the entire team. This allows student coaches to focus on fewer athletes and form meaningful relationships. 

“For being a student coach, it depends on which team you are on. Personally, I am on team four,” sophomore Lauren Dry said. ”That is the team where the children have the most significant needs, and each student coach buddies up with a participant.”

The D99 Hoops team included both DGN and DGS students which makes for an environment that includes meeting new people.

“The thing that I’m most excited for the two Senior Nights that happen at both North and South for the players,” Junior Emily Guy said. 

The student body can attend these games and are encouraged to come and cheer on the players. 

“I can’t wait for our Pack the Place game in January where hopefully we can get a big cheering section to encourage the players. I think it would be really cool to see students from North come out to support their special-ed peers in such a fun way,” From said.