RECORD-BREAKER: Libby Benge (12) holds up the previous pool record for the 100-yard breaststroke, which she broke at the sectional meet Nov. 16. (Photo courtsey of Lisa Ellstrom)
RECORD-BREAKER: Libby Benge (12) holds up the previous pool record for the 100-yard breaststroke, which she broke at the sectional meet Nov. 16.

Photo courtsey of Lisa Ellstrom

Girls’ swim and dive wins sectionals by 86 points

November 19, 2019

It wasn’t even close. Last Saturday, Nov. 16, the DGN girls’ swim and dive team competed in the IHSA sectional meet at York High School, taking first place by 86 points. The Trojans placed first in three relays and two individual races. Trojan divers occupied half of the podium, with second and third-place finishes. 

A relay of junior Evie Ellstrom, senior Libby Benge, sophomore Olivia Asay, and senior Jessica Phillips took first in the 200-yard medley relay. Ellstrom and Phillips also contributed to a first-place Trojan finish in the 200-yard freestyle relay alongside juniors Amelia Carlson and Vanessa Lopez. 

Carlson, Lopez, Phillips, and Asay medaled yet again, winning the 400-yard freestyle relay with a time of 3:32.05. 

Carlson didn’t stop there. She added a first-place finish in the 50-yard freestyle, with a time of 24.26 seconds, as well as a second-place finish in the 100-yard freestyle. 

Benge and Asay weren’t done either. Benge took first in the 100-yard breaststroke, setting a pool record of 1:04.47. Asay placed second in the 100-yard butterfly, coming in just 0.83 seconds after first-place finisher junior Megumi Komoto of Conant High School. 

DGN divers were just as successful, with Senior Katherine Segrest placing second and senior Lauren Lucina placing third. Segrest put up a score of 376.10, missing a sectional title by just 9.65 points. 

The accomplishments did not stop with the athletes. Head swim coach Judy Busse was named Sectional Swim Coach of the Year. 

DGN looks to have more success at the IHSA state meet this Friday and Saturday at New Trier High School.