Photos provided clockwise from top left: Gracie Gwozdz (12), Greta Serinute (10), Mary Guzman Ryan (9), and Vasamon Samercheep (9).

CREATIONS DURING COVID: Pieces by art club students during E-learning.

Art Club: A creative outlet during remote learning

There has been a lot of coverage about high school sports during the pandemic, but what about clubs? Art club, when school was in-person, was all about hands-on activities in a group. So, how is art club different now? Art Club sponsor and Ceramics teacher Amy Bernard has made many significant changes to ensure the club still runs smoothly, as it is a large part of dozens of students’ lives.

Each week, Bernard chooses a prompt for members to base their art project on and a winner is chosen to receive a Michaels gift card. Bernard schedules a Zoom meeting every Thursday to create a sense of community while they are actively creating their art.

“I have them turn their screens down so I can see what they are working on and I do the same. Just to see what people are doing and making is really helpful to us right now in a time so regimented by computer screens,” Bernard said.

Freshman Vasamon Samercheep agrees with this notion. It’s been especially helpful since she’s new to high school and wanted a way to get involved, even during remote learning.

“I really like the art club as it operates right now. Weekly prompts set a general idea or goal that you want to achieve and setting something to look up for. I honestly think the prize is a good idea,” Samercheep said. “Every week, I’m looking forward to the new prompt. It sounds very cheesy, but my life has been a lot more interesting in this club.”

Many students are finding out about the club through the announcements and the on-going Art Club slideshow that is sent in them. Freshman Mary Guzman Ryan was one of them.

“A few weeks into the school year, I saw it in the announcements and I got interested. It really gets me excited to go through the week,” Guzman Ryan said.

Excitement is not the only thing students get from Art Club. Senior Gracie Gwozdz, who has been an active member since her sophomore year, believes the club is a safe place where students can express their emotions and ideas through art.

“Art has always been an outlet for me when I’m stressed or having a rough time, but I also use art when I’m feeling happy or just want to get a message across through a piece,” Gwozdz said. “For example, I’m currently working on a piece representing women’s rights to birth control.” 

Although remote learning has presented its own challenges to the club, it has become more accessible to students who may have been too busy to participate in a pre-Covid world.

“Because of the pandemic, my schedule has freed up enough space to join the club and participate in the art challenges, which I am so thankful for,” Sophomore Greta Serinute said. “Being at home most of the time is not always great, but setting aside time each week to work on something you love is such a good way to de-stress and reflect during this time.”

Bernard welcomes all students to join the club and understands how vital a sense of community and connection is in this time. She loves helping students progress in their art, but her main goal of the club is to be there for students in this difficult time.

“I just want to be a supportive, positive presence for them. That’s the most important thing to me right now,” Bernard said.

Get more information about Art Club on the club section of the DGN Activities website and by visiting the Art Club Slideshow