Graphic created by Gretchen Lucina courtesy of Google Slides

The COVID-19 Dictionary

November 10, 2020

We’ve compiled a list of words you may have not completely known before the pandemic but now know a little too well. You should definitely be familiar with these definitions by now, but we are going to tell you anyways. 

Disclaimer: This article is meant to provide you with comic relief and was not meant to desensitize the COVID-19 Pandemic. 

1. Asymptomatic: A person producing or showing no symptoms. Also known as the modern day grim reaper. Asymptomatic people are the most dangerous of them all: they loom everywhere without anybody’s knowledge spreading terrible germs wherever they go.
  2. Blue Light Glasses: Glasses that limit your exposure to blue light found in computers, phones, and tablets due to their special lenses. They are supposed to help your eyes to adjust looking at the screen all day. They even add a fashionable accessory to your face during your Zooms. Just one more expensive and extra way of turning ‘the night shift’ mode on.
  3. Breakout Rooms: The feature used on Zoom where you can collaborate with other students. In other words, the most awkward social interaction you could have. What really gets accomplished during these sessions? Nothing. Awkward stares and muted mics force students to decide who is going to be the unlucky victim to break the silence. Sometimes “hi” is the only thing spoken before you see the “leave breakout room” button pop up. See also: Zoom
  4. CDC: An acronym that stands for the “Center of Disease Control and Prevention.” Prior to 2019, it was an organization mainly recognized by people above the age of 18. Now, you could ask your 6 year-old cousin and they’d know that the CDC’s word is LAW these days.
  5. Contact Tracing: Process of identification of people who may have come into contact with an infected person. In all seriousness, 22 million people lost their jobs between February and April of 2020. Contact tracing is one example of a job enhanced by the ongoing pandemic. Although it may seem tedious, we suppose it’s crucial to “flatten the curve.” 
  6. COVID-19: The acronym itself that you may not have known is (CO) for Corona, (VI) for virus, (D) for disease and (19) – for the year that it began. An acronym we have heard 100 times too many, and we are sick and tired of it because it has been (and still is) ruining our lives. 
  7. E-Learning: The state of learning online. First, we hated it because it took away our beloved snow days, and now we hate it because it is taking over our lives. On the bright side, whether teachers like it or not, it allows for most assessments to be open note.
  8. Face shields: PPE equipment aimed to protect your face from other body fluids from other people. In our opinion, they seem completely useless (Maggie’s exceptional story explains why): they do not even allow us the protection to go back to school.
  9. Fauci, Anthony S.: Dr. Fauci is an American physician and director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. We hate hearing him on TV because he is constantly bringing us bad news updates on COVID-19. Though, we may be looking forward to a new vaccine?
  10. Hybrid: Having two different types of components performing essentially the same function. In theory, hybrid learning seems like a great idea. Unfortunately, we wouldn’t really knowwe only did it for two weeks. It was fun while it lasted.
  11. Mask-ne: Acne in the areas on your face directly covered by masks. The mask can protect you from other people, but does not protect you from pimples. As teenagers, we have it the worstjust another reason why being a teen living through COVID absolutely sucks.
  12. Pandemic: A worldwide disease spread. You’ve heard it before and you’ll hear it again. As teenagers, we’re still going to complain about this ongoing situation because complaining is simply what we do. Who’s surprised that America still wallows in the affects of COVID-19 while other countries have seemed to move on? Not us. See Also: COVID-19
  13. PPE: Also known as Personal Protection Equipment. For months, masks have been fashion staples, and despite the fact that Karens get thrown out of stores for their anti-mask beliefs, they are proven to be useful. Face shields on the other hand… straight controversySee Also: Face Shields
  14. Quarantine: A state of enforced isolation. When told we had to do this in March, we all thought it was a mini vacation. Little did we know, we were going to be stuck with our families for MONTHS on end. Family walks, movie nights, and game nights were once a good time and are now a dreaded chore. 
  15. Zoom: A video conferencing meeting held online. Otherwise known as school. Who would’ve thought that this is what learning would look like? To administrators, Eric Yuan is a hero. To students, he has created our biggest nightmare.

So there you have it: 15 terms you now know a little more about. This was brought to you by the best and brightest, your favorite Omega editors: Gretchen Lucina and Maggie Ward.

View Comments (2)

• M

Mrs BNov 15, 2020 at 6:14 pm

Well done – extremely accurate while entertaining. Can’t wait for you next article.

Reply
  • B

Beth IndelicatoNov 10, 2020 at 10:40 pm

Great article, Ladies!!! Very informative!! I actually learned a few things. Thank you!!!

Reply
2