Trojans take third at Rachel Bach tournament

DEFENSE+WINS+GAMES%3A+Julie+Pospisilova+%2811%29+stays+tight+on+her+opponent+in+hopes+of+forcing+a+turnover.+

DEFENSE WINS GAMES: Julie Pospisilova (11) stays tight on her opponent in hopes of forcing a turnover.

Sammi Ziganto, Sports Editor

Over Thanksgiving break, the girls’ varsity basketball team competed in the 21st Annual Rachel Bach Tournament at Glenbard East High School.

On Nov. 19, the team had their first game of the tournament against the Homewood-Flossmoor Vikings. Julie Pospisilova scored 25 points and captain Hannah Ilyavi added 10 rebounds. This led to their first win of the tournament 66-30.

“Coming into this tournament, we wanted to make a mark and I think we did in our first game against Homewood Flossmoor. We built confidence after that game which we needed before a tough game against Geneva,” Ilyavi said.

The Trojans had their second game of the tournament against the Geneva Vikings. The Trojans played against the Vikings in the same tournament the previous year, but the team fell just short of a shot at a championship. This time around they were prepared for a mentally and physically tough game.

In the third quarter, second captain Brigid Miller made three 3-point shots and slowly the Trojans began to even the score.

The team fought hard all game, but fell short again. The Trojans had their first and only loss of the tournament, with a final score of 46-68.

“We were definitely hoping to have a closer game with Geneva, but they played very well, and we were unable to match their level of play. I love facing Geneva in the beginning of the season because it forces us to learn to play together early on,” Miller said.

For game three, the Trojans took on the Thornton Fractional North Meteores. The Trojans took control early in the game and by the end of the first eight minutes, the Trojans were up 19-2.

The Trojans didn’t let up. With impressive communication and smart decisions the team was up 35-7 at half. At the start of the second half, both teams took the floor and the Trojans came out even stronger than they did at the start of the game, winning the game 55-19.

During the team’s last game of the tournament, the Trojans took on conference rivals Glenbard West. The score was close for awhile, but the Trojans edged out the Hilltoppers 44-28.

Ilyavi led the Trojans in rebounds with 21 by the end of the tournament.

Pospisilova had 66 points and 14 assists after all four games. Pospisilova was also named to the all tournament team and was awarded MVP of the Rachel Bach tournament.

“I didn’t expect to win the MVP because I didn’t play my best. There were a lot of other talented players in the tournament, but I’m happy I won it,” Pospisilova said.

On Friday, Dec. 16 the Trojans will have their fourth conference game against the Dukes of York High School at 7:30 in the purple gym.