One Book, One School: Summer reading book creates connections across all departments

Daniel Gustafson, Staff Writer

For the 2016 summer reading assigment, all students will read the same book. The purpose of one book is to help inspire students to broaden their understanding of the world, as well as show students connections between all subject areas.
“Our hope with this summer reading piece is that we are not only looking to develop culture by having everyone read the same book, but we are trying to make the summer reading a little bit more about reading as a lifelong endeavor and not always something that is just done for school,” English department chairperson Christopher Bronke said.
With all students reading the same book, it allows teachers in all subject areas to connect lessons from the book into their classes. Starting in September, each Tuesday a different academic department will teach a lesson from the book.
“When we chose this book it was chosen by a committee of around 20 different teachers, with teachers from every different subject area on the committee. We deliberately chose a text that we know can play out in all different subject areas,” Bronke said.
The title and author of the book will not be released until mid-May. However, the author is already committed to speaking at DGN next year, because over 1,000 copies of the book have already been pre-ordered.
“This particular book focuses so much on creativity, passion, and in finding inspiration everywhere you look. All of our areas of study have context in people who thought outside the box and made a difference; they were scientists, historians, mathematicians, world travelers, agents of social change, and generally light-filled human beings,” Social Studies department chairperson Jenne Dehmlow said. “This book is about reminding us that we all have the potential for greatness in our own way,” Dehmlow said.