Seniors devastated by El Niño

Katie Callaghan, Editor-in-Chief

The class of 2016 is cursed: no final exam exemptions, no days off for underclassmen testing in April, and now we probably won’t have any emergency days off. Because of El Niño.

Although we did have a few frigid days, the majority of our winter has been mild and boring.
There’s barely been any snow, and when there is precipitation it is usually just rain. El Niño has crushed seniors’ hopes and dreams.

As seniors, we have had to make up a weather-related day every year. When we were freshmen we had a rare rain day or, as some have said, flood day. When we were sophomores we had four cold days, and last year as juniors we had two cold days and one snow day.

Now that we are seniors, there will probably be no emergency days off at all because of some warm water floating in the Pacific.

Although El Niños can occur every two to seven years, it seems like the last three years seniors have lucked out with skipping these added on days to the end of the year.

Every single year we have suffered the consequences and had to stay well into June. We’ve suffered through extra days, more in-class movies, and more avoiding studying than ever before with these make-up days. Now, when it’s finally our turn to get out early and skip makeup days, El Niño ruined our chance.

We’re just itching for a day off and it’s noticeable in our optimism: one day we hit a balmy 19 degrees, and many students thought we could possibly have a cold day.
That’s how bad it’s gotten. It’s not even that cold and we still are trying to get one unplanned day off of school.

If the class of 2016 could have a refund for the year, we’d definitely deserve it. All we want is to graduate and laugh at the underclassmen who have to go to school.

Hopefully, by the time this is published, I’ll have jinxed it. El Niño has disappeared and we are now expecting a major snow storm with a chance of three days off of school.

We’ve only had to push second semester finals back every single year we’ve attended DGN, what’s one more?