Teen Central draws students into DG Public Library

Katie Callaghan, Feature Editor

library C

Katie Callaghan| Feature Editor
[email protected]

This October, after finishing six months of renovation, the Downers Grove Public Library (DGPL), has seen a 5.5% increase in visitors compared to visitors logged in October 2013.

Librarians credit the new teen section, renamed Teen Central and moved to the other side of the second floor, for the increase in visitors.
“We wanted to have a space that provides services teens need, such as comfortable seating, places to study and hang out, and a librarian to help. We really enjoy serving the teens in our community and through our redesigned teen space we can do this in a much more fun and effective way,” Nicole Wilhelms, the DGPL Adult & Teen Services Manager said.

The library as a whole had reference questions in October increase 12% and computer sessions increase by 13% compared to last October.
“I see myself coming to library more with the new renovations,” sophomore Liam Kollker said.

Unlike the rest of the second floor, the teen section does not have to be quiet. Teens have many options of how they choose to spend their time. They can read one of the magazines available, sit in bean bag chairs and chat with friends, or lounge around in the relaxing seats and focus on schoolwork.

“We want teens and library users of all ages to feel comfortable in the library — that includes feeling comfortable communicating with friends, family, staff, and classmates while here. As long as conversations are not distracting to other visitors, talking is a great way to relax, share ideas, and learn,” DGPL Public Relations Manager Melissa Doornbos said.

In addition to the new name and location, the library also doubled the amount of private study and conference rooms that are available for students to use.

“On our first floor we added a cafe, so if teens want to take a snack break they can. As always, drinks are allowed anywhere in the library,” Wilhelms said.

The newly renovated Teen Central is available for all teens to utilize whenever the library is open.

“I would recommend that others come to the library, because it is just a very nice place and very welcoming,” junior Julia Wool said.